Wednesday 27 April 2011

Reeses* Peanut Butter Cupcakes

*(Not actually supported by Reese).

Anthony came home last night, so I went to meet him at the station.  I brought enough chocolate cupcake batter for two cupcakes, and they were SO good, fresh and warm from the oven.  Anthony insists that I make him some cupcakes with warm custard soon.  I will when I buy some rice milk, so we can taste test it against Worthenshaw's new release.

Anyway, later on, I wanted more cake.  Anthony has some baking ingredients, so I made up another quick batch.  There was no cocoa powder, and I couldn't find the vanilla essence, so I used peanut butter instead.  It kind of worked.  The cakes were slightly savoury, despite the sugar, and I made this great icing to go with them, that really set them off.

The icing was going to be a basic butter cream, like the one I've described below, but we found out one of his flatmates had been salting the icing sugar, so I just mixed some peanut butter with granulated sugar and cinnamon and called it good (it was).

Back home today, I decided to make yet more cake, with creamy, delicious, peanut-butter butter icing.  The peanut butter isn't as sickly as the basic sugary icing I originally tried.  I don't quite have the chocolate-peanut-butter combo perfect yet, but bear with me!  The basic peanut butter butter cream is as follows;

Ingredients (enough for two cupcakes)

  • 1 Tbsp Peanut Butter (any kind you like).
  • 1/2 Tbsp Vegan Margarine (I used vitalite).
  • 1 Tbsp Icing/Confectioner's Sugar.

  1. Mix together.  Try not to eat it all before you get it on the cake.

If you want more, then these are the quantities to make half a cup of icing.  It multiplies pretty easily - for instance, if you want a cup of icing, double these quantities.  For more cake, Chloe Coscarelli's original recipe (which I miniaturised, in an attempt to not be greedy about it) can be found here.

1/4 Cup Peanut Butter
2 Tbsp Vitalite
1/4 Cup Icing Sugar.

If your icing doesn't come together well, add some drops of water or non-dairy milk until desired consistency.  If it's too thin, add some more peanut butter or icing sugar (taste to decide which to add).

We had pad thai too.  It was a good evening.  Yes, those are my legs reflected in the window.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...