Monday 25 April 2011

In Soviet Russia, Cupcakes Heart You (for Two)

This is another recipe that makes a very small amount of cake.  My reasoning for this is as follows;

  1. Doing the conversions was a fun challenge.
  2. Sometimes, I only have a bit of flour left, and I don't fancy shopping.
  3. I'm the only vegan and the only cake-eater in the household, so a huge amount of cake will go stale, unless I live off it for a few days.
  4. ...I don't fancy living off cake for a few days.


I love you!  Please enjoy my chocolatey goodness!


This is a scaled down version of Chloe Coscarelli's strawberry shortcake cupcakes.  You can experiment with microwaving them if you like, but I baked them.

Ingredients

  • 3 Tbsp Plain Flour
  • 2 Tbsp Demerara Sugar
  • 2 Tsp Cocoa Powder
  • 1/8 Tsp Baking Soda
  • 2 Tbsp Non-Dairy Milk or Water
  • 1 Tbsp Oil
  • 1 Tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
  • 1/4 Tsp Vanilla

  1. Preheat the oven to gas mark 4.  Mix the dry ingredients in one bowl, and the wet ingredients in another.  Add one to the other.
  2. Mix, and separate into two cupcake cases.  Go ahead and lick the bowl, you're not about to get salmonella from vinegar.
  3. Fill cases 2/3 full, and bake for 15-20 minutes.

As you can see, I iced my cupcakes, but, honestly?  The cakes are so sweet that adding the icing is just overkill.  Like, seriously, I-feel-really-terrible-from-all-that-sugar overkill.  Do it if you like, but I really don't recommend scaling down the icing from the original recipe.  Make up your own, in smaller amounts.

That said, I've noticed that cupcakes in the US have a lot more icing than we have in the UK, so it's probably a personal thing.

The original recipe calls for coconut milk, which is lovely, but I don't want to suggest that you open a tin of coconut milk only to use two tablespoons.

If you don't lick the bowl, you can probably scrape together three smaller cupcakes, by half filling the cases instead of three-quarter filling them.  Do that, make up some red icing, and pipe "I <3 U" on them.  Do it!  It'll be awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...