Sunday 1 May 2011

Savoury Oats for the Independent Ms

I mentioned this recipe from Miss-ology in my write-up for the SITS Girl's Comment Hour.  The original recipe was so innovative, and such a good idea, that I just had to make a vegan version!

A few days ago, Anthony became the proud owner of a parsley plant and a basil plant.
They're under a £1 from most supermarkets.


Miss-ology's original version seems to make a slightly bigger portion than I do.  Plus, I'm a Ms (short explanation; I see no reason whatsoever to go about announcing my marital status in my title; if you need to know, I can just tell you), hence the name.

Ingredients

  • 1/4 Cup Oats (steel cut if you can get them; I used rolled, because I couldn't).
  • 1 Vegan Sausage, Chopped (I used my own recipe).
  • Spices; I used onion salt, sage, ground sea-salt, fresh parsley, and black pepper, all to taste.

  1. Pour half a cup of boiling water over the oats.  Give them a stir, and chop up the sausage.  Mix it all together, and season to taste.

    This recipe is so quick and easy, assuming you have the sausages to hand.  Incidentally, when making this batch, I ran out of soy sauce, so I substituted Marmite.  It tasted just fine. 

    This is also an incredibly protein-packed recipe.  As I made it, MFP gives the nutritonal values as follows; 207 calories, 23g of carbs, 21g of protein, 3g of fat, 1g of sugar, and 4g of fibre.  There's also some complete protein in there, since the sausages are made from beans + grains.

    Made the way I did, this recipe took less than five minutes.  I'm tagging this as a cheat recipe (Up, up, down, down!) because it's just so simple.

    I think it would be interesting to try adding some tomato purée and garlic purée in there, maybe some Marmite as well/instead, maybe even splitting this amount between two people and eating it on toast, for a really hearty and even more filling breakfast.  The possibilities are endless!

    1 comment:

    1. Yum! I'll share this with my sister-in-law who is also vegan. Thanks for translating the recipe!

      ReplyDelete

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...