Tuesday 3 May 2011

Queen! Country! And Chips!

When Anthony and I first met, and I told him I was a vegan, he said "Vegan? I want a girlfriend who can cook nice things for us".


...I think he's gotten over that way of thinking now.

We didn't manage to have a proper English picnic like I'd planned on the Royal Wedding day.  We both had assignments due, and I simply didn't have time to perfect my pork pie recipe, make scones, or think of what Anthony could have since he doesn't like cucumber sandwiches.  So we wandered through strange bits of the city, and then went to the chippy.

You can't get more British than chips.

Today, I made him a vegan fry-up.  Vegan sausages (they're that shape because I hoped cooking them that way would make them easier to use in pork pies), baked mushrooms and tomatoes, homemade baked beans (with fried onions and garlic purée, yum!), hash browns (my first attempt!  Not totally disasteriffic!), and toast.  I've come a long way, to be able to whip that up in half an hour without thinking.  Nutrition is impressive too - 26g of protein, 6g of fat, and under 400 calories total.

I feel proud of myself today!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...