Tuesday 10 May 2011

Easy Tofu Cheese Spread

I haven't been able to get any agaragar for a while. This has made it difficult to make this recipe for vegan mozarella.

This hasn't been a huge problem, admittedly, for the simple reason that I really don't care about cheese any more.  I really don't.  It's just not relevant to my interests.

However, last Friday, Anthony and I made pizza - and I'll be posting about that later, it came out so well! - so cheese was required.  Since I didn't actually require it to be solid, as we were melting it anyway, I went with just thickening it with cornflour, making a spreadable version which worked really well.  If you use no thickener whatsoever, it's liquid, which is very rarely useful. 

Most of the flavour of our pizza came from the base - a wonderful garlic focaccia with rosemary - and the tomato sauce, which contained garlic purée, fresh basil, and oregano.  The tofu cheese was really only required to add some creaminess and a slight cheesy essence, which it did very well.

I also used it on a stacked sandwich I made for lunch the other day, where it acted like a mild mayonnaise with a great tang to it.

This tofu cheese is, as I said, closer to a mild mozarella than a strong-tasting cheese, like cheddar.

Ingredients

300-350g Silken Tofu (buy it from a Chinese supermarket for under £1).
1 Cup of Non-Dairy Milk (about 250mls.  I used soya).
1/2 Teaspoon of Garlic Salt
1 Teaspoon of Salt
1 Teaspoon of Rice Wine Vinegar
3 Tablespoons of Cornflour

  1. Put everything but the cornflour and half the non-dairy milk into a blender, and blend until evenly mixed.
  2. Mix the cornflour into the reserved milk.
  3. Heat the tofu mixture in a saucepan until it starts to bubble, then, stirring continuously, drizzle in the cornflour mixture.  It will start to thicken.  Once it has, take it off the heat. 

This mixture will keep in the fridge for about a week. I've used it on pizza, lasagne, and on sandwiches, to replace mayo (I never actually liked mayo, to be fair, I used to be crazy fussy.  But the creaminess is really good).

To be honest, I find it hard to get through this amount in a week, which is why I rarely make it.  I also rarely eat tofu.  I'd never have expected it, but cheese really does become totally irrelevant, surprisingly quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...