- 6oz Butter Substitute (again, I used Pure's dairy-free sunflower oil spread)
- 6oz Sugar (I used demerara, but it doesn't matter)
- 8oz Porridge Oats
In my latest batch, I used ground (that is, blended) hazelnuts as a replacements for 2oz of porridge oats. I see no reason why other kinds of nuts couldn't be put in as well, especially if you wanted to up the protein content. I assume nuts are more proteiny than oats - I'm not sure.
I just checked, and the oats I use have 10.6g of protein per 100g. From this list you can see that this is lower than quite a lot of nuts.
Incidentally, I made these for David, following his running the Birmingham half-marathon, along with a few protein shakes. One was chocolate and one had strawberries and raspberries in it instead, which was yummy.
As for method;
- Melt the 'butter' in a saucepan.
- When the butter is melted, turn the heat off and add in the other ingredients. Mix them together, and place them in a baking dish, like a brownie dish. This mixture perfectly filled my 6 by 8 dish.
- Bake at gas mark 4 for 20-25 minutes, until the top goes golden brown. The flapjacks will still be very soft at this point, and they'll harden up as they cool. Take this opportunity to slice them into pieces.