Thursday 28 October 2010

McDonalds

As I may have mentioned previously, I work at McDonalds.  I get a free meal every shift, and I'm lazy - I don't want to make a packed lunch every day.

However, since January, I've been bringing in at least part of my lunch, on most shifts.  This doesn't have to change as a vegan.

When I started going vegan at work, I chose the M burger, with no meat, cheese, or dressings on it - essentially, a lettuce and tomato sandwich.  Since this was a special, it's now been discontinued.  So, I've been having a Chicken Legend, again with no meat or dressings - essentially, a lettuce sandwhich, but my coworkers would normally put some tomato on it for me.  I've just (today) found that the Chicken Salad Deli comes with, apart from mayo and chicken, lettuce, tomatoes, and cucumber, so I'll probably switch to that.  I'm not a big fan of cucumber, but hey - before two months or so ago, I never ate lettuce.  I also thought that I didn't like tomato, but it's slowly growing on me.  I can try cucumber again.

I have to admit, I've yet to finish all the tomato that comes on a deli - I still prefer the bites without any.  But I'm getting better.  I'm sure I can reach the same point with cucumbers, and deli's are available year round.

I like the items made with nicer breads.  I don't like the classic McDonalds hamburger buns - I find them too sweet.  I used to eat them with the meat, but I really don't think they'd work without them.  I'll be sticking with the ciabattas and  deli and bakehouse rolls.

A manager at a different McDonalds told me today that the onion rings have butter in them.  She didn't seem to understand my question - it's not in the ingredients list, and it's not in the oil, so where exactly is the butter getting in?  She just kept repeating that it's in there somehow.  I'm going to go ahead and ignore that.

I generally try to take water and fruit to work - usually apples and bananas.  I've stopped craving the desserts.  I could eat the apple pies (they're cooked in oil which may be contaminated with the chicken or fish oil, but that doesn't actually bother me), but I just don't want them.  I don't want brownies or ice cream, or even a spoonful of chocolate pieces.  I just don't crave them any more.

 I usually get some kind of sandwich made up, and have fries, onion rings, or ready salted crisps (from home).  I generally end up getting a coke as well, even if I have water with me.  I've tried the salads, but I find them unappetizing, and a bit of a vegetable overload.

You can check out the ingredients and allergen lists here.   I would be wary of anything that lists "flavouring".

I wasn't given much variety in food as a child.  I was fussy, but, as I've shown, I can grow to like foods by continual exposure.

I used to always get either a totally plain cheeseburger or fishfingers.  It was a big step for me to try the sour cream and chive dip (not vegan or vegetarian, since they can't guarantee that the factory is free of animal products), and I'd never have dreamt of eating the burgers with vegetables and ketchup on them.  I'm getting better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...