Thursday 16 September 2010

Choco-Banana Protein Shake

This is the most delicious thing ever.  I adapted the recipe from here, and their version has nutritional information as follows;

Calories: 348; Calories from Fat: 120
% Recommended Daily Value:
Total Fat: 13.4g, 21%
Saturated Fat: 2.6g, 13%; Trans Fat: 0.0g
Cholesterol: 0mg, 0%
Sodium: 130mg, 5%
Total Carbohydrates: 50.9g, 17%
Dietary Fiber: 6.7g, 27%
Sugars: 25.2g
Protein: 12.9g
Vitamin A 2%, Vitamin C 17%, Calcium 8%, Iron 21%

I made a few adaptations to their recipe, mostly through lack of ingredients.  My version was;

1 cup soy milk
1 banana
2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa
1 tbsp fructose
2 tbsp walnuts

All blended together.

This tasted good, but it's nowhere near as protein-y as the original, which used cashew nuts.  As you can see here, cashew nuts have almost twice the protein of walnuts.  I only replaced them because I have no patience and no cashew nuts.  This version will also be fattier, as that's the other notable thing about walnuts.

I found that all the varieties of sweetened cocoa powder I looked at also had whey powder in them, so I used my unsweetened variety (Bournville), with half as much fructose (fruit sugar - it's pretty easy to find, it's made by Tate and Lyle).  I'd really like to start using agave in cooking, I'm just having trouble finding it.

I started by putting everything in the blender and blending.  I think it would be better to start by putting in the bananas and nuts, and blending those alone before adding the powders and liquids, as my version still has whole walnuts at the bottom.

Edit; A few weeks ago, I made a version which used half a cup of strawberries and raspberries instead of the cocoa powder.  That was pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...