Monday 8 August 2011

UK Riots

I've been hearing bits about the riots all evening, but it's only the last hour that I've actually sat down to watch the news.

I'm mostly concerned with Birmingham, obviously. I'm in Liverpool at the minute, and although there are riots here, there is very little information. Birmingham seems to be the second worst struck, after London.

I called my grandmother a little while ago, at 1:45am or so, and although she can hear sirens, she hasn't been otherwise affected. According to this tumbler account, there's been some activity only a few minutes down the road from where I live, but it seems that this was only a small gang of youths, rather than any kind of organised, violent activity.

The Bullring and Mailbox have both been broken into, although I hear that staff from the Bullring were all allowed to leave very shortly after the riots started. Shops on New Street and Colmore Row have had their windows smashed, and, from what I've heard, the rioters seem to be heading away from the city centre, along the Bristol and Pershore roads. That said, I hear that bars on Broad Street have been locked down - no one's going home tonight.


Arrests in Birmingham have gone from 35, at 10:25pm, to 100, at 2:30pm. There are several fires in London, but I've yet to hear of any elsewhere.

Tomorrow, I'm supposed to be travelling from Liverpool Lime Street to Birmingham New Street.  I don't know what the likelihood of that is, right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...