Saturday 5 February 2011

Tofu Bacon, Spinach and Tomato Sandwich

...we were out of lettuce, and I prefer baby spinach leaves anyway.  They taste less watery, and have a nicer texture, I think.  The 'bacon' is hereafter known as 'facon', so as not to confuse people.



Ingredients (for veggie bacon)

Approximately 100g of Firm Tofu
2 Tsp Soy Sauce
1 Tsp Nutritional Yeast

1.  Press the tofu to get the water out.  I do this by putting two paper towels on a plate, putting the tofu on it, then adding another two and some kind of weight (in this case, my Vitalite dairy-free margarine).  I had this stuff pressing since last night, since I knew I would use it today, but you don't need that much time really.  Cut the tofu into strips.

2.  Fry the strips of tofu on medium heat in a tablespoon of vegetable oil (don't use a strongly flavoured oil, like olive, for this).  Leave it sizzling on one side for 5-10 minutes, then flip, and give it the same amount of time on the other side.  You want it to be browned and crispy.  The longer it's been pressing, the quicker it will cook, but don't worry if it burns a bit, it just adds verisimilitude to the facon.

3.  Take the pan off the heat, and add the soy sauce and nutritional yeast.  Give it a stir with a spatula to coat the pieces in the mixture, then put it back on the heat and give it a quick fry for about a minute, just to make sure it's still crisp (it can go soft when you add the liquid).

Ignore how it looks, focus on the taste!


Et voila.  As mentioned, I had mine loaded up with a sliced tomato and a handful of baby spinach leaves, but you can eat it however you like.  Trust me, it really does taste like bacon.

I got the recipe from here, but I couldn't find any liquid smoke (didn't look, to be honest, was tired).  Oh, and I really didn't want to make an entire pound of facon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...