Thursday 16 June 2011

Colour Me Happy

Because, in this week of researching sexual violence and abuse, I needed a little bit of cheerfulness.

I highly recommend this as the soundtrack for this post.

When I Stumbled Upon this recipe, I simply had to try it.  It looked so happy!  (Speaking of trying things, try Stumble Upon, it's a great way to spend half an hour).

Rather than try to veganise the recipe given, I searched for a white cake recipe instead.  I usually make chocolate cakes, and although I could just leave the cocoa out, I felt like trying something new.  I went with something based on this recipe, which, unlike other vegan cake recipes I've tried, contains no vinegar or oil, though it does call for vegan margarine.

Ingredients

  • 2/3 Cup Demerara Sugar
  • 1/4 Cup Vegan Margarine (I use Vitalite).
  • 1 and 1/2 Cups of Flour (I used white flour, but wholewheat would be interesting to try).
  • 1/2 Tablespoon Baking Powder (powder, not soda!)
  • 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
  • 1 Cup of Non-Dairy Milk (I used soya, but rice milk would be nice).
  • 1/2 Tablespoon Vanilla Extract
  • 1/2 Teaspoon Almond Extract
  • Various food colouring - I used red, blue, yellow, and green.

You'll also need a few empty, clean glass jars (I used peanut butter jars, and I needed three for this mixture, as I found later.  I only had two.), and some spare bowls, for mixing up different colours.

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit/180 Celcius/Gas Mark 4.
  2. Cream the margarine and sugar. 
  3. Mix the dry ingredients together in a separate bowl, then add to the creamed mixture.  Add the soya milk, mixing together thoroughly.  Finally, add the vanilla and almond extracts.
  4. Separate the mixture into however many different colours you want, and add the food colouring.  I had a go at making indigo using red and blue, but it came out burgundy, for some reason.
  5. Spoon the mixtures into the jars in layers.  As you can see, I didn't divide mine terribly well, so I have lots of red and burgundy, and relatively little blue and green.
  6. Bake for 40 minutes.


Do NOT fill your jars this full.  This cake rises quite a bit, and mine ended up overflowing.  I ended up having to pick cake out of the pan and eat it.  It was torture!

Afterwards, you can slice the tops off, or scoop a bit out, and ice them (I didn't, since I'm out of icing sugar).  Maybe add some rainbow sprinkles, if you can find any vegan versions?  Then give it to someone who needs cheering up.

This should keep for about five days in the fridge.  And doesn't it look happy?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...